Statement on Iran's Nuclear Program by British Foreign Secretary David Miliband, on Behalf of the E3+3

May 2, 2008

The Foreign Secretary, David Miliband, gave the following statement on behalf of the E3+3 after talks in London on 2 May. The Foreign Secretary said:

"We've just had a positive and productive meeting of five foreign ministers and the vice-foreign minister from China to talk about the next steps in our approach to the grave problem that we see in respect of Iran's nuclear programme.

"Firstly, we are united in our belief that the threat posed by this enrichment programme to stability is very serious and it's one that we want to address directly.

"Secondly, we are united in our determination to pursue a twin-track strategy. Last month, at our instigation the U.N. Security Council passed Resolution 1803 setting out a range of sanctions, the third set of sanctions against Iran.

"But we've always been clear that should be accompanied by an offer to Iran showing the benefits of engagement and cooperation with the international community.

"And our meeting today has been dedicated towards taking the offer that we made in June 2006, reviewing it and updating it, and I'm glad to say that we've got agreement on an offer that will be made to the government of Iran.

"Thirdly, we will be transmitting that offer - we won't be revealing details except to the government of Iran - and we very much hope that they will recognise the seriousness and the sincerity with which we've approached this issue and that they will respond in a timely manner to the suggestions that we are making.

"Iran says that it wants to play a constructive role. We believe that the rights that it seeks need to be accompanied by a clear set of responsibilities and it's in the spirit of seeking to fulfil both rights and responsibilities that we are making the new approach to Iran on the basis of today's meeting."