What’s at Stake in New Nuclear Talks with Iran?
- Should the P5+1 continue to pursue a staged approach, where issues of immediate concern like the 20 percent enriched uranium and the plant at Fordow are addressed first?
- Or should the group hold out for an overall nuclear settlement?
- What other aspects of Iran’s proliferation sensitive work should be included?
- Do Iran's leaders appear ready for a comprehensive nuclear settlement?
- How can an agreement ensure that Iran is not pursuing undeclared nuclear work at secret sites?
Panelists: Kenneth Katzman, Stephen Rademaker, Michael Singh, Leonard Spector
The Impact of Sanctions
- Are the energy sanctions implemented since July having an impact?
- How can Iran's revenue from oil and other energy-related sales be further reduced?
- Are the United States, the European Union, and others making use of all the sanctions authorities at their disposal?
- What more could be done with existing laws/regulations?
- Could improved enforcement of these laws make a difference?
- Should the United States push for additional U.N. sanctions?
- How could sanctions be used to disincentivize a potential sprint toward nuclear weapons?
Panelists: Ilan Berman, Francois Delmas, Michael Howells, Kenneth Katzman, Orde Kittrie, Michael Singh
Iran Sanctions: What would work?
- Could "crippling" sanctions against Iran be devised?
- If so, how likely are they to be achieved and applied?
- If not, which combination of lesser sanctions could force Iran to reconsider its nuclear program?
- How many countries would have to support these sanctions in order for them to have an effect?
- How quickly would sanctions need to be implemented?
Panelists: Ross Allen, Gary Hufbauer, Kenneth Katzman, Orde Kittrie, Alireza Nader, Nicolas Roche
Congressional Action on Iran: What Next?
- What sanctions measures are under consideration by the 111th Congress?
- How likely are they to be pursued if opposed by the Obama administration?
- How long will the honeymoon period between the Democratic majority in Congress and the Obama administration last?
Panelists: Skip Fischer, Will Huntington, Don MacDonald, Tim Morrison
An assessment of Europe's leadership in confronting the Iranian nuclear challenge
- What can we learn from Europe’s role in confronting the nuclear challenge posed by Iran?
- What did the Europeans achieve?
- Where are the negotiations going now?
- What are the implications for future leadership on nonproliferation?
Panelists: Philip Gordon,
An assessment of U.S. efforts to sanction Iran
- What are the U.S. laws for sanctioning Iran and its suppliers?
Could they be improved?
- How have these laws been applied in the past? How should
they be applied?
- What is the U.S. objective in seeking to sanction Iran
and how should it be pursued?
Panelists: John Barker, William Lowell, Sharon Squassoni
The impact of U.S.-India nuclear and missile cooperation on Iran
- Could U.S. cooperation
with India undermine efforts to restrain Iran’s
nuclear program through diplomacy?
- Could it influence the way
Iran perceives the West’s commitment to enforcing
- Will U.S. efforts to exempt
India from international export controls weaken those controls?
so, will Iran have an easier time procuring what it needs
to make mass destruction weapons?
Panelists: John Larrabee, William Lowell, Richard Speier,
Sharon Squassoni, Leonard Weiss
Living with a nuclear-armed Iran
- How would the United States and other countries react to a nuclear-armed
- How would the international
effort to halt nuclear proliferation be affected by an Iranian
withdrawal from the NPT?
Panelists: William Chadwell, Marvin Feuer, John Sigler, Judith
How to prevent a nuclear-armed Iran
Panelists: Rolf Ekeus, Stanley K. Fraley, John Sigler, Terence
Taylor, Marcus Winsley
- Is there a diplomatic deal
that could convince Iran to give up its nuclear weapon ambitions?
- What kind of deal, if any,
could be adequately verified?
- How useful would international
sanctions or the use of force be in rolling back Iran's program,
and does the political will exist for such measures?
The Iraq War: Its impact on nonproliferation
(From the Iraq Watch roundtable series)
Panelists: W. Seth Carus, Nicholas Eberstadt, Robert J. Einhorn,
and Michael Eisenstadt
- How has the Iraq war impacted the world's efforts to stop the
spread of mass destruction weapons?
- What has been the impact of
the war on the weapon intentions of North
Korea, Iran and Libya and on the Bush administration's ability
to deal with them?
- Timeline setting out key events in
Iran that occurred during the period just before and
just after the Iraq war.