1. This report of the Director General to the Board of Governors and, in parallel, to the United Nations Security Council (Security Council), is on the Islamic Republic of Iran’s (Iran’s) implementation of its nuclear-related commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in relation to its stock of heavy water. It provides an update on developments since the Director General’s previous quarterly report.
Activities Related to Heavy Water
2. As previously reported, on 8 November 2016, the Agency verified that Iran’s stock of heavy water had reached 130.1 metric tonnes and, in a letter received by the Agency on 9 November 2016, Iran informed the Agency of “Iran’s plan to make preparation for transfer of 5 metric tons of its nuclear grade heavy water” out of Iran.
3. On 12 November 2016, Iran informed the Agency of its decision to make preparations to transfer an additional six metric tonnes of nuclear grade heavy water out of Iran.3 On 12 and 13 November 2016, the Agency verified and sealed 11 metric tonnes of nuclear grade heavy water that Iran was preparing for transfer out of Iran.
4. On 21 November 2016, Iran informed the Agency that the 11 metric tonnes of nuclear grade heavy water had been shipped out of Iran on 19 November 2016.
5. On 6 December 2016, the Agency verified the quantity of 11 metric tonnes of the nuclear grade heavy water at its destination outside Iran. This transfer of heavy water out of Iran brings Iran’s stock of heavy water to below 130 tonnes.