1. This report of the Director General to the Board of Governors and, in parallel, to the United Nations Security Council (Security Council), is on the Islamic Republic of Iran’s (Iran’s) implementation of its nuclear-related commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in relation to its enrichment-related activities. It provides an update on developments since the Director General’s previous reports.
Activities Related to Enrichment
2. In a letter dated 6 July 2022, Iran informed the Agency that the operator of the Fordow Fuel Enrichment Plant (FFEP) intended to feed UF6 enriched up to 5% U-235 into the cascade of 166 IR-6 centrifuges with modified sub-headers to produce UF6 enriched up to 20% U-235.
3. On 6 July 2022, the Agency verified that Iran had ceased passivation5 of the aforementioned cascade of IR-6 centrifuges and that the operating configuration of this cascade was as declared. Agency inspectors adjusted the safeguards measures as necessary. At the time the inspectors departed FFEP on 6 July 2022, feeding of the cascade for production purposes had yet to begin.
4. On 7 July 2022, Iran informed the Agency that, on the same day, it had begun feeding the aforementioned cascade with UF6 enriched up to 5% U-235.
5. On 9 July 2022, the Agency verified that Iran had begun feeding UF6 enriched up to 5% U-235 into the cascade of 166 IR-6 centrifuges with modified sub-headers for the declared purpose of producing UF6 enriched up to 20% U-235.