1. On 24 July 2014, the Director General received a letter from China, France, Germany, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States of America (the E3/EU+3) and the Islamic Republic of Iran (Iran) informing the Agency of the extension of the Joint Plan of Action (JPA) 1 until 24 November 2014 and requesting it to “continue to undertake the necessary nuclear related monitoring and verification activities in Iran under the Joint Plan of Action, including monitoring of fuel fabrication for the TRR, and down-blending of its uranium hexafluoride enriched up to 2%.” (see Annex).
2. In light of the above, and based on the endorsement by the Board of Governors, at its meeting on 24 January 2014, of the Agency undertaking monitoring and verification in relation to the nuclear-related measures set out in the JPA, the Agency will continue to implement such monitoring and verification, as extended.
3. Continuation of the monitoring and verification activities will require additional financial resources for the Agency. The Secretariat estimates that the continuation of such activities until 24 November 2014 would require an amount of approximately 2.3 million euros.
4. An estimated amount of 1.3 million euros remains available from the resources allocated for the Agency’s activities during the initial six months of the JPA2. Assuming that all contributing Member States agree to the continued use of their unspent contributions, an additional amount of 1 million euros would be required. Therefore, the Director General invites Member States which are in a position to do so to make the necessary funding available for the extension period.
5. The Director General will keep the Board of Governors informed on this matter, including through the provision of monthly updates on the Agency’s monitoring and verification in relation to the nuclear-related measures set out in the JPA, as extended.