1. The note by the President of the Security Council of 16 January 2016 (S/2016/44) set forth the practical arrangements and procedures for the Council for carrying out tasks related to the implementation of resolution 2231 (2015), particularly with respect to the provisions specified in paragraphs 2 to 7 of annex B to that resolution.
2. In the note, it was established that the Security Council should select, on an annual basis, one member to serve as its facilitator for the functions specified therein. On 16 January 2016, the Permanent Representative of Spain, Román Oyarzun Marchesi, was appointed as Facilitator for the implementation of resolution 2231 (2015) for the period ending 31 December 2016 (see S/2016/2/Rev.4). On 3 January 2017, I was appointed as Facilitator for the period ending 31 December 2017 (see S/2017/2/Rev.1).
3. It was also established in the note that the Facilitator should brief the other members of the Security Council on his or her work and the implementation of resolution 2231 (2015) every six months, in parallel with the report submitted by the Secretary-General on the implementation of the resolution.
4. On 18 July 2016, the Security Council was briefed by the Under-SecretaryGeneral for Political Affairs on the first report of the Secretary-General on the implementation of resolution 2231 (2015) (S/2016/589), by the Facilitator on the work of the Council and the implementation of resolution 2231 (2015) (S/2016/649) and by the Head of the Delegation of the European Union to the United Nations, on behalf of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, in her capacity as Coordinator of the Joint Commission established in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (see S/PV.7739).
5. The present report covers the period from 16 July 2016 to 15 January 2017.