Related Library Documents:
THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION,
Having regard to the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union,
Having regard to Council Regulation (EU) No 359/2011 of 12 April 2011 concerning restrictive measures directed against certain persons, entities and bodies in view of the situation in Iran , and in particular Article 12(1) thereof,
Having regard to the proposal from the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy,
(1) On 12 April 2011, the Council adopted Regulation (EU) No 359/2011.
(2) On 25 September 2022, the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy issued a declaration on behalf of the Union deploring the widespread and disproportionate use of force by the Iranian security forces against nonviolent protestors, which led to high numbers of deaths and injuries. The declaration also stated that those responsible for the killing of Mahsa Amini must be held accountable and called on the Iranian authorities to ensure transparent and credible investigations to clarify the number of deaths and persons arrested, to release all non-violent protestors and to provide due process to all detainees. Furthermore, the declaration stressed that Iran’s decision to severely restrict internet access and block instant messaging platforms blatantly violates freedom of expression. Finally, the declaration stated that the Union will consider all the options at its disposal to address the killing of Mahsa Amini and the way Iranian security forces have responded to the ensuing demonstrations.
(3) On 17 October 2022, the Council adopted Implementing Regulation (EU) 2022/1955, including eleven persons and four entities in the list of natural and legal persons, entities and bodies subject to restrictive measures in Annex I to Regulation (EU) No 359/2011 for their involvement in serious human rights violations in Iran.
(4) In that context, and in line with the Union’s commitment to address all issues of concern with Iran, including the human rights situation, one person should be included in the list of natural and legal persons, entities and bodies subject to restrictive measures in Annex I to Regulation (EU) No 359/2011.
(5) Annex I to Regulation (EU) No 359/2011 should therefore be amended accordingly,
HAS ADOPTED THIS REGULATION:
Annex I to Regulation (EU) No 359/2011 is amended as set out in the Annex to this Regulation.
This Regulation shall enter into force on the date of its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union.
This Regulation shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member States.
Done at Brussels, 14 November 2022.
For the Council
J. BORRELL FONTELLES